HSAS PTA Welcomes Elected Officials!
Alumni, staff, parents & guardians were on hand last week to welcome State Assemblyman Jeffrey Dinowitz and State Senator Jeffrey Klein to HSAS, as we celebrated both our 15th year and the receipt of their generous capital funding. The officials are pictured above with Mr. Weiss, and our PTA Co-Presidents, Alice Lee and Unjoo Noh.
Assemblyman Dinowitz's $125,000 will purchase new computers, laptops and classroom furniture. The $145,000 from State Senator Klein will upgrade the HVAC system that regulates temperatures throughout the school and will replace the sliding walls in rooms 106-108 to divide the space into truly soundproof zones. In addition, Senator Klein discussed having named HSAS one of his BOOST schools (Building Options and Opportunities for Students), which awards us an additional $16,000 in funding for curricular enrichment.
The PTA of the High School of American Studies
The PTA of the High School of American Studies at Lehman College (HSAS) is comprised of parents and teacher representatives. We welcome and encourage all parents of current students to join our PTA, and to support our efforts as parents by attending our monthly meetings. Please consider further supporting our efforts by participating in our process and by running for open offices as they become available.
The objectives of the PTA are:
- to provide support and resources to HSAS for the benefit and educational growth of its students
- to develop a cooperative working relationship between the parents and staff of our school
- to develop parent leadership and build capacity of greater involvement
- to foster and encourage parent participation on all levels
- to provide opportunities and training for parents to participate in school governance and decision-making
- to promote communication with local, city and statewide elected officials